Friday, May 26, 2017

This I believe

“Anything You Desire”


I believe that every human has a purpose in life and anything you want to become you can make it happen. Have you ever felt the struggle of being too small or too tall to do something you want in life? Almost like a hoax that's so powerful that it's so close to being true. Ever since I was little, I felt like my life was set up for failure. I was devastated to know that I was 4’11 at the age of 11. I was always the one who would play every sport. At that time I would ask my dad, “Do you think I will grow?” Of course my dad will always tell me yes. The only reason I would constantly ask him that question was because I wanted to be reassured that I will get taller. I always made sure I ate good and I had my daily workout, just to make sure that I was healthy, for just maybe I could grow.

I heard a lot of stories about great athletes who were born small and they were able to make it to the pros. But there was even more stories about people who didn't make it to the league, Devastating stories. One movie that always made me think about my height was a movie called Rudy. It's about this boy who always wanted to play football for Notre dame. He always would show up to practice ready to go and when he was put in , he gave it his all. Boy that guy was a beast. Unfortunately when he was going into college he was rejected from going to Notre Dame because his grades weren't high enough. Plus he was too small to be on the team. He didn't stop there. He went and got a job at a factory and was able to get enough money to enroll for a semester. If his grades were high enough the pastor said he could have a scholarship. He then did what he said and made his grades high enough to join the team and to get the scholarship. After being put on the team, the coach would still not let Rudy play because he was to small. So one game all the players of the team admired Rudy’s bravery and toughness so they went to the coaches office and swore to not play if Rudy does not go in, in the next game.The coach finally agreed that he would have a chance to be put on the field. When the game started Rudy did not go in, the players were angry with the coach because he swore to let Rudy play. But finally In the final seconds of the game, he put Rudy in on defense and guess what he did ? He made the game winning tackle to win the game . This movie impacted how I played on the field. Every time my coach has me out on the field, I made myself known, to all the players, that the smallest one is gonna be the best one.

That's been my motto for the last 5 years I played football. All 5 years I beat people that were taller than me and bigger than me. All you need is that mentality and courage to put forth that inner beast inside you, when you're on that field. Show that you can be the best even when you're at a physical disadvantage. If you believe in what you do, you can achieve what you want and be successful in life. All the things I've been through and what I've seen made me better on the football field. Keeping this mentality of not giving up and practicing everyday to make yourself better can translate into your personal life. If you have that mindset on the field, you can have that mindset in your studies and school. Any obstacles you face going through life, you will be able to overcome. It happened with Rudy and it happened with dozens of people across the globe. What you desire is already yours.

Only you can dictate how your life will become. No one can have that role .

No comments:

Post a Comment